Monday, July 23, 2007

You can't pick your family...



Only a handful of people know that I'm a struggling, amateur genealogist. I've been researching a little known branch of my family for almost ten years. Today - out of the blue - I received a phonecall from someone responding to a request for help I posted on well-known genealogy website in 2002. A distant cousin from Philadelphia who has been working on his family history for 45 years. It seems our families converge a few generations back and (very lucky for me) he is interested in swapping documents, photos and GEDCOM files. Goldmine!

So, while we are swapping family tidbits over the phone and emailing photos back and forth - he spills it..."Carol, if you aren't aware of the Morgan family then you probably don't know that you're a descendant of Daniel Boone." Huh?? "Yeah, you know Daniel Boone - the Alamo - the BIG man." Wha - HUH??? Paperwork to verify this will follow.

No kidding. Reaction from the family was a little mixed. Kate was compelled to put me on speakerphone while her friends roared in laughter in the background. David laughed, said "cool" and went back to watching a re-run of Scrubs. And, Jane said "who??" Seriously. Who.

Then I remembered that a) Jane is starting 4th grade in the fall; b) Jane has only been exposed to a limited amount of American history; and, c) Jane is clearly not a product of TVLand the last vestige of historical drama:



Joe decided it would be much more impressive if I were related to Fess Parker. Arrrggghhh!

c




No comments: